Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How can I control my electricity costs?

Do a home Energy Survey: An analysis of your bills to help control your energy use. Contact your power company to have the survey done to see where you are using to much electric and then they give you ideas and ways to reduce your usage. Most of this can be done on line with your power company free of charge.How can I control my electricity costs?
I replaced my windows for more energy efficient ones, put enough insulation in my attic space to give me an R-50 rating, installed a new central H/AC unit that was the efficient size for my home %26amp; three wind turbines on my roof. I did all of this after receiving a $600 electric bill. My bill has not been over $197 since and that was 2 years ago. Another energy saver is to install those plug covers that you get in the baby section to prevent heat and air from coming in and going out. Close the curtains in the rooms getting the bulk of the hot sun to cut down on the cooling and open them when it is cold. Turn the thermostat to 75 in the summer and 70 in the winter. If you find that there are some rooms with higher or lower temps then go through the house and adjust the vents to accomodate those rooms. If you have an LCD television or other television that has a red light on it, unplug it or turn off the power strip cause it burns about 80kwh per 6 hour period just in stand-by mode. The same is true for the computer. Turn it off rather than leaving it in stand-by mode. Unplugging chargers that are not in use would help too.How can I control my electricity costs?
It's called a wall switch.
Through price protection and conservation. Your electricity bill is divided between two charges, supply and delivery. If you live in a deregulated electricity market, you can choose who supplies your electricity, thereby controlling what you pay for the commodity. Ask your local utility for a list of energy marketers, like MXenergy, that you can buy from, and then choose the one that has the best electricity rate plan for your needs and budget. Check out http://www.mxenergy.com
unplug stuff like phone chargers, vcr/dvd player, microwave, stereo, (anything with lightup numbers or displays)and battery chargers when you're not using them. replace incandescent bulbs with comapct flourescents. turn stuff off. buy energy efficient appliances. make sure you have energy efficient windows/doors, and insulation for house and hot water heater, also wash clothes with cold water.
I guess you could use less air conditioning and open some windows on a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment