Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do you control your finances and costs?

Incentives, spreadsheets, weekly budgets, live on cash only etc etc - Thanks in advance!How do you control your finances and costs?
Sit and work out everything, have everything on direct debit in a seperate account, transfer the money so nothing goes unpaid.


Have an allowance for spending and shopping and take this out in cash after payday. Once the cash is gone no more spending until payday.


Wish had done it this way years ago as better off!





Got rid of all credit cards!How do you control your finances and costs?
i click on to internet banking every day
Spreadsheets...oh yes... you will start to see that small decision can get very big savings





Start thinking in year rather than Instant.





拢1 is probably not much...





well that's 拢365 per year.





What do you get for 拢365 per year:





One week all inclusive in Egypt at the moment
Hi,


I would personally use microsoft excel to list all your monthly outgoings and income. You can sum up all your income against your outgoings to work out how much you have left each month to save or spend. You can then work out how this is affected by switching utility suppliers, insurance companies and credit cards by comparing costs on-line for each. You can also compare savings companies for the right rates to invest your spare money. I have switched suppliers and mortgage companies many times as they like to give new customers better rates to entice your business. I know at first it seems a lot of work but if you start a spreadsheet with the basics the savings become more visible quickly and the savings you make spur you on to evolve your finances


Regards,


Jason
I am very careful with my spending, my motto is if I havent got the money i dont have it, simple
Make a list of everything you spend money on a month. You will be surprised how it all adds up! Cut back on things you dont need or can do without. If you smoke give up and put the money into a pot or account and watch it grow. Shop around for the best deals on car insurance and bills etc. Look into changing your bank account to one with higher interest. Dont use credit cards. I only use mine for large purchases (for added buyer protection) and pay it off immediately.
I know exactly, to the penny all my direct debit amounts that are to come out of my account per month.





I am very careful with my spending. I only draw out money I will need.





I've given up luxuries such as smoking, this was far too expensive to carry on, but also great for my health so its a double wammy of pleasure!!.





I don't drink during the week - which is more a personal choice but it don't half save the old pennies.





I do internet banking so I can keep a tight reigns on what I've spent and what I've got left.





I also use a spreadsheet called Johns Cashbook, which I use like a internet banking statement but allows me to identify things that have been a bit of an indulgence.





I shop around religiously for better deals from everything from electric/gas bills to mortgage deals etc.





I buy cheap, when cheap is as good as expensive, ie - canned tomatoes - brand name 90 pence / can or shops own make 22 pence / can. Its canned tomatoes for god sake!!! they taste the same!!! the savings that can be made by shopping like this are amazing. But don't get me wrong if I don't like the home brand, I'll still buy the expensive one - pleasures in life!!!





It can be quite a tight ship but it'll pay for a great holiday next year - a holiday of my choice, anywhere in the world!! also some of the savings I make I put straight to the mortgage - sacing me literally thousands in interest!! Thats my incentive!!








God that was long winded!! You can wake up now!!! hahaha!!!








John.
In Microsoft MY MONEY programme. Keep the incoming up to date and keep the paid bills and forthcoming bills up to date and you can get an instant cash flow forecast any time. It spreads out your annual charges into monthly costs. It is a great programme. You need to use it to see how great it is. I can look up my cash in the bank situation based on current trends as far ahead as I like and provided that the inputs are accurate and kept up to date it works. It also works out, given the interest rate what your savings are worth month by month.
I have a new system that seems to be working out really well. Husband took over bills just to see what we are paying on and how much money is spent. After the bills are paid I get a about $300.00 every pay day. The money in the bank is for gas and grocery's only. I use the credit cards only if I pay them off right then, sounds dumb but sometimes if you use a department credit card they give you discounts, that is what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment