Saturday, August 21, 2010

How much do Yasmin birth control pills cost in the UK?

I've tried searching on Google for this, but the only relevant website that came up was inhousepharmacy.co.uk. I just wanted to confirm that they were right..





Basically, I've been on Yaz/Yasmin for the past 5 years and have never experienced any bad side effects. My new GP informed me that Yasmin is much more expensive than other brands and wanted me to try different types of pills. In the past 4 months I've tried two different brands (Ovranette and Marvelon) and have been experiencing horrible side effects (really bad acne, breakthrough bleeding, and uncontrollable mood swings) from both. I'm really frustrated with trying to find the ';right'; (i.e. cheapest) pill when I know of one which suits me well.





According to inhousepharmacy.co.uk, the brand I'm on now (Marvelon) costs 拢26.33 for 3 28-pill packs. Yasmin is listed as costing 拢32.91 for the same amount of pills. If this is correct, I'd like to offer to pay the extra 拢6.58 per three months as it seems to be too much for the NHS.





So (sorry for rambling on...), does anybody know how much Yasmin costs?How much do Yasmin birth control pills cost in the UK?
I just looked in the BNF and Net price for Yasmin 3 脳 21-tab pack = 拢14.70 (Mervelon is 拢6.90). All contraception is free on the NHS, however Yasmin is more expensive than other contraceptive Pills so GPs are reluctant to prescribe it. Yasmin is only really prescribed if acne is an issue.





However if the other Pills are not suiting you, then there is a valid argument here for you to request that your GP puts you back on Yasmin as it suits you. He can't really refuse to do this, if he does then see another GP.





I shouldn't say this but to save hassle, next time you see him just say you are having issues with spots and your mood swings are worse when taking the other Pills (Yasmin contains a type of progestogen which does not seem to cause the mood swings which other contraceptive Pills cause). That way he can justify the reason for prescribing you Yasmin as it will have been indicated.





Hope Dr Frank doesn't see this, bit naughty of me to say all this really!How much do Yasmin birth control pills cost in the UK?
Yes. As someone else said on here, its free in the UK. I personally take yasmin; for me its perfect. No mood swings, bleeding or anything like that. and also i've noticed my skin feels more better than before. however it might not work for you. You could try 'Cilest' which is a little purple contraceptive pill and is probably the most natural pill with hardly any side effects. hope this helps! :0) x x
All birth control is free on the nhs though of course we pay for it in other ways.
  • female mask
  • 1 comment:

    SPWS said...

    Yasmin costs around £32.91 in the UK. That is according to www.uk. answers.yahoo.com.

    Post a Comment